Search
  • C.B. Fosbrink

6 Surprising Household Toxins That Are Poisonous To Your Pet

It’s Pet Poison Prevention week this week! Let’s keep our fur-babies safe by increasing awareness of what toxins potentially exist in our homes. During the last year, people have been adopting “pandemic pooches”. This phrase was invented due to the increased number of dogs that were adopted/rescued during the time the country was shut down. Unfortunately, due to the increase, the ASPCA found that 260,000 pets were exposed to poisonous household items. Some cases have been accidental, but as pet owners, we need to know what items we should keep away from our pets.


Check out these, potentially surprising, household items to watch for:

  1. Batteries Batteries can cause ulcers in your dogs’ mouth, due to the acid. Especially the alkaline in the batteries causes the membranes in the dog’s mouth to create ulcers. If your pet has ingested a battery, do not induce vomiting as the battery can become stuck in their throat.

  2. Plants Plants that can be harmful to pets include aloe vera plants and mum plants. For a complete list of poisonous household plants, click here.

  3. Grapes and Raisins Did you know that grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and diarrhea? Larger grapes can get caught in your dog's airway, but also be mindful of trail mixes that contain dried raisins which can lead to symptoms.

  4. Onions How are onions harmful to pets? Onions affect your pet’s red blood cells. They can cause fatigue and disorientation that can lead to vomiting.

  5. Salty or fried foods No dinner scraps for pups! Giving your pet food intended for humans can cause inflammation in their belly and increase sodium levels.

  6. Chewing Gum Keep watch of leaving gum around! Gum’s sugar ingredient, Xylitol is the main culprit. This sugar can be hazardous to their liver. Xylitol can also cause your dog's blood sugar to drop.

A good rule of thumb; keep these items out of reach. Keep the toilet seat down, so your dog AND cat don’t drink the water, which may contain chemicals. If you have household cleaners, put them in a cupboard. You may also read our past blog post about safe cleaning products. See if your cleaning products are safe by clicking below!


If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, watch for rashes, vomiting, and excessive drooling. And of course, contact your veterinarian immediately. Hope this was helpful!


Make sure you follow us on Instagram and don't forget to subscribe to our blog!


All proceeds from Thousand Hills Pet Resort support New Life K9s. New Life K9s provides service dogs to veterans and first responders with PTSD at no cost to them.

References:

https://www.dailypaws.com/dogs-puppies/health-care/dog-poisoning-toxins/top-pet-toxins-cats-dogs

https://petwow.com/general-health/8-things-you-may-not-have-known-were-poison-to-your-pet/


239 views

Recent Posts

See All